Regulations on the Management of Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese government establishes Chinese Government Scholarship to sponsor international students and scholars to undertake studies and research in Chinese institutions of higher education.It aims at promoting the mutual understanding and friendship between Chinese people and the people from the whole world, developing the exchange and cooperation in education, science, technology, culture, economy and trade between China and other countries. The Ministry of Education of China provides scholarship quotas to different countries according to the exchange agreements or plans reached between the Chinese government and the governments of other countries, or international organizations and entrusts China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to administer the recruitment of international students and the daily management of Chinese Government Scholarship Programmes. To improve the management of Chinese Government Scholarship and scholarship students, the following regulations are formulated.
1. Categories, Appropriate Applicants, Duration and Requirements for Chinese Government Scholarship
The categories of Chinese Government Scholarships include scholarships for undergraduates, master degree students, doctoral degree students, Chinese language students, general scholars, and senior scholars. Besides, Chinese Government Scholarships, according to different programmes, also include China/UNESCO—the Great Wall Fellowship, Distinguished International Students Scholarship, HSK Winner Scholarship, Short-term Scholarship for Foreign Teachers of Chinese Language, Chinese Culture Research Fellowship.
Scholarship for Undergraduates:
It is provided for applicants applying for undergraduate studies in China. The duration is usually 4 years (majors such as medicine cover 5 years). Applicants shall have finished senior high school and scored excellent achievements, passed the entrance examination for Chinese institutions or have been accepted by Chinese institutions through recommendations. The age limit is 25.
Scholarship for Master Degree Students:
It is provided for applicants applying for master degrees in China. The duration is 2-3 years. Applicants shall bear Bachelor’s degree and score excellent achievements. Applicants shall be recommended by two professors or associate professors. Those applying for this scholarship in China have to be accepted by a Chinese institution already. The age limit is 35.
Scholarship for Doctoral Degree Students:
It is provided for applicants applying for doctorate degrees in China. The duration is 3 years. Applicants shall bear master degree and score excellent achievements. Applicants shall be recommended by two professors or associate professors. Those applying for this scholarship in China have to be accepted by a Chinese institution already. The age limit is 40.
Scholarship for Chinese Language Students:
It is provided for non-Chinese language graduates or those with little knowledge of Chinese to study Chinese language in China. The duration is 1-2 years. Applicants shall achieve proficiency equivalent to that of Chinese senior high school. The age limit is 35.
Scholarship for General Scholars:
It is provided for applicants who pursue their original major in China. The duration is 1-2 years. Applicants must have completed at least two years’ undergraduate studies or have achieved proficiency equivalent to that of a Bachelor’s degree. The age limit is 45.
Scholarship for Senior Scholars:
It is provided for applicants who intend to conduct their research on a specific subject in China under the supervision of Chinese professors. The duration is 1-2 years. Applicants shall achieve proficiency equivalent to that of a Chinese Master’s degree and be recommended by two professors or associate professors. The age limit is 50.
Applicants for the above scholarships, in principle, must possess required Chinese language proficiency (except Chinese language students and those applying for courses taught in foreign languages). Those whose Chinese language proficiency has not met the standard shall take remedial Chinese language courses, which will not exceed 2 years. The duration of the scholarship will be extended automatically for undergraduate students, master degree students and doctoral degree students who take remedial Chinese courses. The duration of remedial Chinese courses of general scholars and senior scholars is included in their total duration of the scholarship.
China/UNESCO—the Great Wall Fellowship
It is provided by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (hereinafter referred to as UNESCO). Only general and senior visiting scholar candidates are eligible. Application procedures are the same as those of the scholarships for general and senior scholars.
Distinguished International Students Scholarship
It is provided for the international students with excellent performance who have completed their current study programmes in China and have been accepted by a Chinese institution to pursue a master’s degree or doctoral degree studies in the same year. Application procedures are the same as those of the scholarships for master’s degree and doctoral degree students.
HSK Winner Scholarship
It is provided for those who achieve excellent results in Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) abroad to study Chinese language in China for at most one year. The age limit is 40.
Short-term Scholarship for Foreign Teachers of Chinese Language
It is provided for foreign teachers of Chinese language to take short-term study in China. Classroom instruction is four weeks and two weeks will be arranged for a free teaching tour which is optional. Applicants shall bear a Bachelor’s degree or higher and have been engaged in Chinese language teaching for more than three consecutive years. The age limit is 50.
Chinese Culture Research Fellowship
It is provided for overseas scholars and specialists of Chinese culture to conduct short-term research in China under the supervision of or in cooperation with a Chinese professor for at most 5 months. Applicants must hold a Doctoral degree or academic titles equivalent to associate professor or higher and must have papers or published books on Chinese language, culture, history etc. The age limit is 55.
2. Details of Chinese Government Scholarship
1) Chinese Government Scholarship is divided into full scholarship and partial scholarship.
-- exemption of registration and tuition fees, fees for experiment and internship, and free basic learning materials and accommodation;
-- provision of the same free medical care as that of the Chinese students;
-- living allowance and once only subsidy for settlement;
-- a train ticket (hard-berth train ticket for a trip overnight) will be provided to those who transfer from the port of entry to the city where the institution of major study is located, transfer from the city where the institution of major study is located to the port of departure, transfer from the city where they take remedial Chinese language courses to the city where the institution of major study is located;
-- the international trip is covered by the dispatching authority unless there is an agreement reached.
Partial scholarship covers one or some of the above items of the full scholarship.
China/UNESCO—The Great Wall Fellowship:
The details of this fellowship are the same as those of general and senior scholars on full scholarship.
Distinguished International Students Scholarship:
The details of this scholarship are the same as those of master’s degree and doctoral degree students on full scholarship.
HSK Winner Scholarship:
The details of this scholarship are the same as those of Chinese language students on full scholarship.
Chinese Culture Research Fellowship:
The details of the fellowship include free registration and research fees, free accommodation and emergent medical care. A monthly research subsidy and a certain amount of subsidy for academic tour and for once only data and materials will be allotted.
Short-term Scholarship for Foreign Teachers of Chinese Language:
The details of the scholarship include free registration and tuition fees, free accommodation and emergent medical care, as well as a one-time only settlement subsidy. Those who participate in the teaching tour will enjoy free accommodation and transportation, and a certain amount of food allowance.
The Chinese Government will adjust irregularly the standards of scholarship. Please refer to Guide to Study in China under Chinese Government Scholarship Programme (printed by CSC).
2) The living allowances will be allotted monthly to the students from the time of registration at the institution. The new students who register before 15th of the registration month will enjoy the whole amount of living allowance of that month; those who register after the 15th will enjoy a half amount of that month. Graduates will get the living allowances of 15 days from the graduating time set by the institution. The scholarship will be terminated from next month for the students who suspend their studies, drop or graduate from the institution. The students are entitled to living allowance during the vacation period arranged by the institution. The students may get refunded when they get back from their trip during the vacation. The living allowances will be suspended for one month for the students who do not register on time without permit from the institution beforehand, leave without persuasive reasons or are absent from the institution for over a month.
The students are required to cover the expenses for experiments or internship, which are not included in the teaching arrangements of the institution.
The students diagnosed as suffering from diseases that are not permitted to enter China under the Chinese laws and regulations will be required to leave China. The costs of the international trip should be born by themselves.
3) The students shall go to the university clinic for medical treatment if they suffer from diseases during the studies in China. If necessary, the clinic will transfer the students to the designated hospital for further treatment. The medical treatments beyond the free medical care of the students such as dental diseases, getting glasses, accouchement, abortion, rectification of physiological defects, nutrients, and the chronic diseases which they suffered before coming to China have to be born by themselves.
The students shall bear the medical and other expenses for accidents such as injures or deaths caused by the litigants who break the Chinese laws and the regulations of the institutions.
4) The students who have to suspend their studies because of serious diseases shall go back to the home country and cover the international trip by themselves. Approved by the institution, their studies can be suspended for at most one year, and their living allowances will be suspended at the same time. The scholarship will be terminated for those who suspend their studies for other reasons.
3. Application Procedures
Applicants shall apply to the relevant authority in their home countries, relevant organizations, or Chinese diplomatic missions for scholarships for undergraduates, master’s degree students, doctoral degree students, general scholars, senior scholars and Chinese language students from February to April.
The application procedures for other scholarships are as follows: China/UNESCO—the Great Wall Fellowship
Please apply to the headquarter of the UNESCO through its branches in the applicants’ home countries from February to April.
Distinguished International Students Scholarship
Please apply to CSC through the applicants’ institutions in China from April to June.
HSK Winner Scholarship
Please apply to CSC through HSK test holding unit or the Chinese diplomatic missions from February to April.
Chinese Culture Research Fellowship
Please apply to CSC through the Chinese diplomatic missions or Chinese intercollegiate institutions at any time.
Short-term Scholarship for Teachers of Chinese Language
Please apply to CSC through the Chinese diplomatic missions from February to April.
The Department of International Cooperation and Exchange of Ministry of Education of China takes charge of the official approval of the above scholarships.
1) Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (printed by CSC)
2) The highest diploma and transcripts (notarized photocopy). Applicants shall submit the on-post certification (given by the institution or the employer) if they are students or already employed.
3) Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority), if the applicants plan to study in China for 6 months or above.
4) Research or study plans (no less than 200 words)
5) Applicants for master’s or doctoral degree studies and senior scholars must submit two letters of recommendation by two professors or associate professors. Applicants who apply in China for master’s or doctoral degree studies must submit the Admission Notice of the Chinese institution.
6) Relevant music work for applicants applying for music majors.
7) Those applying for undergraduate studies for sciences, technology, agronomy and medicine shall submit the results of the Test of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry held by the Chinese embassy or the transcript of their senior high school studies in their home countries. Those applying for undergraduate studies for economics and management shall submit the results of the Test of Mathematics held by the Chinese embassy. Those who apply in China for undergraduate studies shall submit the transcript of the entrance examination and Admission Notice of the Chinese institution.
8) Applicants for Chinese Culture Research Fellowship should submit the list of papers and publications.
4. Admission and Notification
CSC will review all the application materials it receives from the applicants and forward the application materials to the institutions designated by the Ministry of Education of China on the basis of the qualification of the applicants and also with the references of the preferences of the applicants. The institutions shall decide whether or not to admit the applicants.
Applicants who apply through recommendation for bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or doctoral degree from abroad may be enrolled by the institutions as students on probation for one year. The students will be switched to regular ones if they pass the entrance examination or relevant required courses. Credits scored on probation will be included in the total credits. If remedial Chinese courses are needed, the students must pass the entrance examination or relevant courses during the period of probation before they can pursue their major study. Those who fail the required examinations shall finish their study and leave China.
CSC will send the List of Accepted Students, Visa Application for Study in China (JW201) and Admission Notice to the relevant authorities of the dispatching countries before July 31st so as to forward these documents to the students.
The students accepted shall apply to the Chinese embassies (general consulates) for student visa with valid Ordinary Passport, Visa Application for Study in China (JW201), Admission Notice and Foreigner Physical Examination Form (for those who study in China for over 6 months). They should register in Chinese institutions with the above documents.
5. Change of Major or Institution and Extension of Study
The students cannot, in principle, change their majors or institutions, as well as extending their duration of studies. If there are persuasive reasons, they must get approval from the relevant authority of the dispatching country. The latter will apply to CSC. Scholarship of those who do no get the approval from CSC will be terminated.
6. Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status
To fully implement the encouraging mechanism of the Chinese Government Scholarship, according to the Measures of the Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status formulated by the Ministry of Education of China, Chinese institutions will give a comprehensive review of the students studying in China for more than one year. The result of Annual Review will decide whether the students can continue enjoying the Chinese Government Scholarship.